xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: p.s.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

p.s.

So the best holiday of them all, Independence Day, has come and gone
& man oh man ...
What a blast.
But before I move on in life, I want to add a few tidbits.
These little extras are too important to my heart to be swept off to the side.

Every year around one-ish or so-ish on the 4th of July, my family and I gather up and head to the cemetery.
We are off to celebrate with Mom.
It is our lovely tradition that started with her interesting words, "cemetery sparklers".
Mom hoped we would find enough time during our ! America ! revelry each year to share a sparkler or two with her
& we have, we do.
We bring ourselves and our sparklers and we happily celebrate a moment of our holiday with Mom.
It might sound weird.
It might look weird
& honestly, the first year or two, it really felt weird
But now it just feels right and comfortable and wonderful
& the best part of it all is Mom's great grandchildren are the carriers of this tradition.
The youngest in our bunch are our sparklers crew.
Happily in charge, they do it all for a little lady who gave them a cookie even when their mama said "no cookies".
Pure, simple love is the best
& I have a feeling Mom's cemetery sparklers will be sparkling for a very long time.

Another every year tidbit is more of a shout out to my youngest sister.
Long, long before I ever even thought about writing children's stories, my sister gave me an idea.
We were sitting on a blanket in the park watching July 4th fireworks.
Somewhere between the oooos and ahhhhhs we noticed a firework that just couldn't make it.

Up...  Up...  Up ... and ...
nothing
The poor guy just fizzled out.
ooops

We laughed and dubbed that firework "Dud"
& we commented that there's a children's story in there with an 'oh yes you can' ending
& by golly, we should write it.

Every year since Dud first appeared, Sister and I wait, watch, anticipate his yearly arrival
& Dud never disappoints.
He is always there.
& we always giggle about our someday story.

Although I've never penned a firework story, I have written a thing or two since that 4th of July display so many years ago
& I can honestly say that night lit a light within.
I do believe the writer in me woke up with our silly conversation.
It took her awhile to get herself revved up but, she is certainly revved up now
& I can thank my sister and that little dud of a firework for giving me that much needed nudge.

YaY.

Yep.
Birthday # 240 is in the books America
& as always,
It's been wonderful fun.
Wonderful family.
Wonderful memories. 

:)

I Am My Feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment