xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: Road Rambles Revisited

Friday, May 27, 2016

Road Rambles Revisited

I won't be one of the millions traveling the highways and byways this Memorial Day Weekend.
Nope, not this year.
This year, I will be happily kicking back and doing a whole lotta nothing.
No. Thing.
A burnt hotdog on the grill, a fire in the fire pit, a lawn chair and ahhhhh.
That's all I ask out of life.
But since so many of you will be hitting the road and driving off to your happy place destinations, I thought I'd pull some words out of the archives. 

Welcome back to 'Road Rambles', written this time last year.

....................

First up
Billboards and rest stops.

For some reason, this trip, I took notice of billboards.
I usually don't pay attention to them at all.
Billboards are just there.
They have always been just there.
I take those very large signs for granted, for sure.
Well, this go around I saw them.
From the gigantic lawyer faces to the pecans pecans pecans, to the big daddy fireworks guy and the stuffy nose blows allergy place.
I noticed.
& I'm thinking
Billboards.
That's America, baby !
AMERICA.

& how about those rest stops ?
Did you ever notice how incredibly long the '47 miles to next rest stop' can be ?
Especially after the 'Let's go to the next rest stop. It's only 47 miles' conversation.

uh huh.

Next up
& this is going to sound morbid and gross but, I just have to ask ...
Who's in charge of taking dead critters off the road ?
Not the side of the road.
The road.
I mean, how do they get to the side ?

For instance, if I hit a deer
which I hope I never do because I would never, ever forgive myself
But, IF I would hit a deer ..
would I be in charge of moving his body off of the highway so no one else hits him too ?
Dead critters are almost always on the side of the road
& it got me to wondering ...
How do they get there ?

hmmmm

And finally.
Big trucks.

Growing up and traveling with Gramma, I remember her refusing to sleep.
She wanted to stay awake to alert Dad of the trucks.
When told by Mom it was ok to doze, her wonderful, loving Gramma words were always "I'll watch for trucks"
& watch for trucks she did.
Like a sentry soldier, she did.
I always got the biggest kick out of that little lady.
She wasn't about to let any big rig harm her precious cargo.
I could snooze peacefully knowing that my gramma was watching for trucks.
zzzzzzzzzz

The older I get though, the more I appreciate those big trucks.
Gramma saw them as a threat to her peeps.
But, I see them as my go to helper in times of need.

We traveled through some heavy duty rain storms yesterday
& although I wasn't driving, I heard myself offer this awesome advice to the man behind the wheel
"Time to follow the trucks"
Time after time after time.
Through fog, snow, rain and sleet.
I have always followed the trucks.
Those slow, steady, guiding light trucks.
They ease me out of the icky weather and into the sunshine.
Every single time.
Thank you truck driver.
You get me to where I need to be and I really do appreciate that
& YOU.

....................

& there you have it.
Words of wisdom from a patiently bored passenger with way too much time on her hands.

Safe Travels My Traveling Friends
&
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all.

Enjoy !

:)

I Am My Feelings







No comments:

Post a Comment