xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: Cleaning Day

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Cleaning Day

Way, way back in the day I worked at a preschool called Casa Montessori.
It was a small, simple, quiet place run by two women.
Carol and Hope.

Carol was a talker.
A go, go go, do, do doer
& I realized that the very moment we met.
Which was fine.
I was fresh out of college and my head brimmed with a million, conquer the world, oh yes I can ideas.
We clicked instantly.
YaY.

During my job interview, Carol told me I would be working with Hope.
Hope was not there at that time but, she's nice, !! Carol assured and I would meet her soon
& I thought, cool.
Let's do this Hope !

Oh, Hope.

Hope wasn't quite as yappy as Carol.
In fact, they were as different as night and day.
Hope kept her thoughts to herself.
She was gentle but, very determined to run a tight ship.
Her Montessori teachings were embedded in her heart
& yes, the children and I could giggle and laugh and sing but ...
shhh. Not too much.
Tenderly stern, was who Hope was and how she approached her job
& her life.

So.
There I was
& there she was.
Trying to connect on the fly.
Me, the newbie.
Getting to know the children and trying to fit into Hope's very steadfast ways.
Not really sure if I was doing anything right or anything wrong because Hope kept everything within
& she very rarely smiled.

Oh, Hope.

According to Carol though, all was swell !
I was the perfect pick for that position.
It was destiny !! she'd happily tell me.
Destiny brought me to their preschool and into their lives.

But, Hope never said much.
Ever.
She would do her thing every day and I would do mine.
The children were always happy so ...
I'll see you tomorrow.

I don't remember the hows or whens of it all but, now that I'm older, I think Carol knew Hope and I needed some kind of breakthrough.
Yeah, we worked very, VERY well together but ...
BUT,  there was always that wall.
Hope wouldn't let me in.
I wouldn't, couldn't, was afraid to let Hope in

& so, Carol decided we MUST have a cleaning day.
The preschool desperately needed a washing, she said.
Would I mind coming in on Saturday to help her and Hope shine the place up ??

Uh.
Errrr.
Sure, I said.
Although there were a thousand other things I could do with a Saturday.
Sure.

Funny thing is, Carol didn't show up on that we sooooo need to scrub morning.
Nope.
Something suddenly came up
& IF she would be there, it would be late.

Great.
Just GREAT.
Now I would be stuck with non talking Hope alllllll day long.
Thanks, Carol.

Yes.
THANKS Carol !!
That infamous, bucket in hand Saturday goes down as one of my BEST. DAYS. EVER.

Hope and I had two choices.
Silence and things would stay the same
or
Talk and get to know one another.

We chose talk
& talk
& talk.
Turns out we had an awful lot in common.
Turns out, a beautiful friendship began.
Turns out, Hope was one of the most generous, sincerest, kindest women I have ever, EVER known.

I learned many lessons from that tiny, pleasantly tough little lady named Hope
& I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual.
Because, it's true.
It is so true.
You never really know someone until you take the time.

To talk.
To wonder.
To share.
To allow in.

Turns out, it's easy....
if you try.

Thanks Carol.
Thanks Hope.
I am forever thankful that we tried.

:)

I Am My Feelings






 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment