xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: Baby Steps

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Baby Steps

I remember the first day as if it were yesterday.

I was young, informed, prepared and CONVINCED that I knew EXACTLY what to do and how to do it.
After all, I had helped Mom with Younger Siblings,
Big Sis with Nephews,
I was schooled in Child Care and Development
& had year upon year of babysitting experience.

So, YEP.
Piece of cake.

Then reality hit
& I instantly realized I did not have a clue what to do with this baby boy I was holding.

Not. One. Clue.

Somewhere in those first few hours of exasperation, Son decided he needed a diaper change
& ordeal is an understatement.
oy
I fumbled.
I faltered
& in the midst of my fumbling faltering, Son released a howl unlike anything I'd ever heard before.
The more I hurried, the louder he cried.
& so, I cried too.

Thankfully, Mom and Sister were there.
Sister, who was quite the professional at diaper changing at that point in time, gently brushed me aside and took over.
I can still hear her soothing voice as she talked to this irritated baby.
She sang him a song, held his hands, rubbed his little belly and just like that, done.

YaY.

Baby steps.
I had never experienced changing a brand spankin' new human being's diaper before that very first day.
But Sister had
& with her gentle guidance, I soon became a diaper changing pro too.

I saw a quote recently that has really stuck in my brain.
I wish I had written it down and carried it with, because now that I want to reference it, I'm afraid I'll goof it up.
So, more or less, here are the sentiments of those awesome words ....

'Everybody walks baby steps at some point in their life.
Every single moment there is someone, somewhere doing something they have never done before.
We should practice the act of patience so we can assist others with their baby steps.'

I LOVE IT.

Everyone starts somewhere
& we are at different levels of beginning each and every new day.
Be helpful and be kind please, because we are ALL newbies.

Remember.
Baby steps.

:)

I Am My Feelings




No comments:

Post a Comment