xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: Great Greats

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Great Greats

We've been talking about Philip for years
& each time we did, we'd add, 'one day, we should go for a ride and find him'.
But, life has a way of being busy and busy and busy
& Philip, unfortunately, was put on our shelf of not all that important.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday, the stars oh so perfectly aligned and Dad, Big Brother and I jumped into the car and headed out on our mission.
We were finally going to find Philip.

Philip is my father's great grandpa
so that makes him pretty great, great in my book
& all I really know about him was that he was a Veteran of the Civil War, a survivor of Andersonville Prison.
Cool stuff, especially for the young girl who loved History Class in me.

The Civil War.
Civil. War.
That one always intrigued me the most.
'I wonder why it's called 'civil' ? how can a war be civil ? that doesn't even make sense', I'd sit and ponder back in the day
& yet, it happened.
It happened here, on these very same lands we walk upon
& my Great, Great Grandfather Philip experienced every bit of the ugliness of this war we call Civil.

It was kind of weird.
There we were, the three of us, traipsing through this old cemetery in this wonderfully small, Midwestern, 'no internet connection available' town
& when we discovered our Philip ?
Pure. Glee.
My 84 year old father became a little boy again, right in front of my very eyes.
It was an absolutely beautiful experience.

We'd been thinking and talking and hoping and maybe -ing about Philip for sooooo long
& there he was.
Ellen, his wife
John, his 3 year old son
and Charles, we're not quite sure who Charles is, were there too

& all I can think about since that priceless moment ?

THEY were HERE.
Here.
Living, breathing, eating, sleeping, going about their daily biz, very much alive, human beings.

Was Philip scared as he fought in the war, as he sat in that prison ?
& Ellen, did she miss her husband ? was life hard without him ?
& John, only three years old
Even Charles.
What is your story, Charles ?

Fascinating is what it is,
FAS-CIN-A-TING.

As I fell asleep last night, I chalked yesterday up as one of my best days ever.
We found Philip !
Dad turned into a little kid
& I realized, yet again, just how incredibly privileged I am as an American, how humbled I am as a person.

& now, it's my turn. 
Because of Philip and Ellen and alllll my fabulous ancestors.
Because of Them I am here, now.
& WOW.
How awesome is THAT ?!??

ahhhhhh, life.
LIFE.

Thanks for a lovely day and the amazing lesson my family, my great greats.
It was really, Really, REALLY nice to finally meet you.

:)

I Am My Feelings














No comments:

Post a Comment