xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: DIBS

Saturday, February 10, 2018

DIBS

I googled the word to double check it's origin.
Seems people have uttered this syllable since 1812.
WoW.
& here I thought my family owned all rights.

rats.

We sure do like to say, call, declare and express it though.
A lot.
Family LOVES to call dibs.
Catch us at any gathering and you're sure to hear someone laying claim to something or another.
We even have a 'Dibs List'
I started it a few years ago just to keep track of who wants what.

We dib over miscellaneous, silly things.
Things that matter to only us.
We are catching memories, really.
Priceless memories.

Walk into the basement of our childhood home and you walk into a lovely time warp.
Games, toys
& stuff.
Beautiful recollections from a wonderful childhood.
A mom, a dad, their six children and happy.
Much happy.

Younger Brother dibbed a potato masher once
& Mom gave it to him.
She gave it to him !
I've yet to recover from that covert exchange
& technically speaking, it goes against every single dibs rule, ever.

uh huh.

But, along with the masher came flashbacks of Dad mashing those potatoes.
No one, and I mean
NO. ONE.
mashed potatoes like Dad.

Clickity clickity clickity clack.
I can still hear the rhythm in my head.

YuM.

The grandchildren and great grandchildren have joined in on the calling of dibs now too.
A 'rock' pillow that is so uncomfortably hard there is no reason for it's existence.
Tv trays Grandma used to set Mrs Grass Soup for her Kindergarten bound grandson.
An original light fixture.
A brownie making bowl.
A snow shovel.
A homemade gift from days long past.
Yep.
These are just a few of the treasured items on our 'Dibs List'.

ahhhh.
Memories.

Nowadays, when someone lovingly shouts ! DIBS ! Dad wholeheartedly responds
"TAKE IT ...! ... Get it outta here .. ! ! !"
& we should.
We should.
But, we don't.

We want to keep that wonderful time warp around for as long as possible.

:)

I Am My Feelings


No comments:

Post a Comment