xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'. The Words Floating Around in My Head: Rachel's Challenge

Friday, February 16, 2018

Rachel's Challenge

The Cubs' Anthony Rizzo, a graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, fought through tears as he delivered a heartfelt speech at a vigil held for Wednesday's shooting victims.

  @SportsCenter tweeted, along with a video clip
& after watching this kind soul express his innermost sincerity, my very first, gut reaction was
'maybe it's Anthony Rizzo'

You see, after every tragedy in these United States of America, I find myself searching for a hero.
Someone who will step up.
Someone who was touched or hurt so deeply that they decide ENOUGH.
THEY will be the one to begin a domino effect
& everything changes because of THIS human in THIS moment.

I realize that's a lot of pressure to put on Anthony Rizzo with the continuum of hate that fills the world, but I am forever hoping to find that spark.
That presence
That champion.

Yesterday, I came across two pages of a magazine that I had tucked away many years ago.
They were words from the Reader's Digest, written by Darrell Scott, father of Rachel Scott.
Rachel Scott was one of the many killed on April 20, 1999 at Columbine High School.
In this article, Darrell Scott shared his love for his daughter and his pain of that day to the families of September 11th,
trying to ease their grief as only someone who knows their heartache can.
He quoted Rachel and the challenge she wrote in her journal a month before she died.

"I dare to believe that I can start a chain reaction through acts of kindness and compassion."

& this broken man went on to explain how he continues to live by his daughter's words.

Kindness.
Compassion.

Has anyone noticed how people wholeheartedly accept Rachel's challenge each and every single time suffering arrives ?
We live It.
We breathe it.
We ARE it.

You.
Me.
US.

But why only then
& why do we stop ???

Today, I accept your dare Rachel, because I too believe your chain reaction
would be,
could be,
WILL BE so beautifully staggering
if each of us only continue,
if each of us simply try.

Thank You for your inspiration
& you too, Anthony Rizzo
you both have helped me realized, I am the hero I so desperately seek.

:)

I Am My Feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment